Historical Sites

sites-powderspringsPowder Springs, GA. Originally known as Springville, this town was incorporated as Powder Springs in 1859. Native Americans and white settlers thought the area’s seven springs had medicinal value. It developed as a typical railroad town and served as a commercial center for the surrounding farms. From the 1850s to the 1880s, people came seeking medicinal benefits from the springs’ mineral waters. This time period is preserved by restored houses and museums in Powder Springs.

 

Butner-McTyre General Store | Seven Springs Museum | Cheney House | McAdoo House


sites-austellAustell, GA. Austell developed as a result of the railroad. The town was originally called Cincinnati Junction because the Georgia Pacific Railroad and the Cincinnati and Georgia Railroad Companies shared rails from Atlanta to this junction. Georgia Pacific changed the name to Austell to honor the late Alfred Austell, Atlanta banker and civic leader. The city charter was adopted in 1885. The following landmarks depict this history, as well as future plans.

 

Austell Presbyterian Church | Coats and Clark | Threadmill Mall | Light Rail Line to Austell


sites-mabletonMableton, GA. Mableton was incorporated in 1912. The town was named Mableton in honor of Robert Mable who had given right-of-way to the railroad. The town continued until 1916 when residents asked the charter be repealed so a heavy tax burden imposed by needed storm drains could be shared by all of Cobb County. The area’s historic structures are heavily influenced by the Civil War and reconstruction after the War, as listed here.

 

Mableton Township | Mable House | Barnes Amphitheater | Home at Harold Glore | Barnes Hardware | Ruff’s Mill | Miller’s House | The Rock House | Gann-Love-Hill House | Concord Covered Bridge Historic District


sites-sixflagsSix Flags Gateway. Located in Austell, just off 285, the Six Flags district is slated for major development.
It will be a gateway to Atlanta, containing mixed use developments of homes, retail shops, attractions, golf courses and businesses in a huge industrial park.

 

 

Six Flags Over Georgia | Word of Faith Community Center | Gateway to Atlanta Parkway


sites-johnsonJohnston River Line. Much of the Civil War tracts are marked in this area. They indicate Sherman and his troops stormed through the land before destroying Atlanta. Confirming the war’s path are relics of the forts, called Shoupades, named for Commander Shoup, who designed them to alleviate the damage of lives during the conflict. Today, homes flank the residue of the combat, and are registered in a number of artifacts.

 

Hooper Turner House | Trolley Line Park | Nickajack Park | Shoupade Park | Howell’s Mill | Johnston River Line | Log Cabin Community


sites-clarksdaleClarkdale, GA. The development of the mill village was close to the thread factory and provided housing for workers. The village is now a part of the National Registry and Cobb County historic district.

Clarkdale Historic District